Friday, March 2, 2012

It was Seuss-tastic!

Happy Birthday to Dr. Seuss!  We had a blast.  I LOVE reading his books to the class with all of the emotion you can put into it and rhyming words.  Check out the fun activities we did.  I found most of my ideas from Saylor's Log.

My favorite part was our Lorax activities.  We made these Truffula trees, and students wrote about how they would take care of the last Truffula tree seeds.  I loved watching them and their reactions as I was reading the book. They were so heartbroken when I read that the last Truffula tree had been chopped down.  Their writing was fantastic and looked so cute with their trees.  Of course the students also loved it because of the Truffula trees I have in my classroom.  Check them out here.  At the end of the day I gave the students a real seed!  IHOP is giving away seeds shaped like a Truffula tree to promote the movie, The Lorax.  They were kind enough to donate enough for my class!  The kids were so excited!




SO CUTE!!!


Here's the buddy activity we did with Horton Hatches an Egg.  The kids loved the story and it was great to tie in the character aspect of following through as well.  The kids kept reciting Horton's quote, "I meant what I said, and I said what I meant.  An elephant's faithful one hundred percent!"


We ate "green eggs" and LOVED them! Ok, ok, it was just green sherbert with whip cream, but it was still fun! :-) Also check out the super cute Cat and the Hat shirt!



In the afternoon the students rotated to different classes to do different activities.  The students in Kindergarten rooms got to make these:

I was so impressed with how easy this was for my students.  I know it's because we've been working so hard on word families with the Write, Read, Draw word family sheets.

Finally, check out the Smilebox I made with pictures of the day. There's a lot!


Click to play this Smilebox slideshow
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Create your own slideshow


No comments: