Thursday, March 13, 2014

What a week to learn about weather! 82 degrees one day and snow the next!

This year we did a lot of fun things with our weather unit!  Thanks to Pinterest and my genius sister-in-law, who is a middle school science teacher up in St. Louis. I also used a lot of FREE, cute stuff from First Grade Parade.   We made it rain in a glass, and this year the kids were all able to see it up on our Promethean Board because of our NEW document camera.  Check out the time lapsed video below.  (I think it will only play on computers.  I can't get it to play on my iPad or iPhone. Sorry.)  We added drops of water to the shaving cream which eventually got so heavy it rained.  You can get the recording sheet I made for that here.

  








We also used a microwave to show the water cycle.  We heated the water (like the sun) and the water evaporated and condensed on the top of the microwave.   



We also read one of my favorite childhood books, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs.   We are working on visualizing as we read so we created this chart with our five senses.  



Check out some of their writing below.  I found this great freebie at First Grade Fever.  I loved this student's idea of Dip 'n Dots raining!  How creative!




Let's hope our precipitation continues to be rain only and no more SNOW!!


No comments: